What is RMagick?
RMagick is a binding from Ruby to the ImageMagick TM image manipulation library. Here’s how the ImageMagick home page describes ImageMagick:
ImageMagickTM… is a free software suite to create, edit, and compose bitmap images. It can read, convert and write images in a large variety of formats. Images can be cropped, colors can be changed, various effects can be applied, images can be rotated and combined, and text, lines, polygons, ellipses and Bézier curves can be added to images and stretched and rotated.
ImageMagick offers a full range of image processing tools that provide the capability to:
- Convert an image from one format to another (e.g. TIFF to JPEG)
- Resize, rotate, sharpen, color reduce, or add special effects to an image
- Create a montage of image thumbnails
- Create a transparent image suitable for use on the Web
- Turn a group of images into a GIF animation sequence
- Create a composite image by combining several separate images
- Draw shapes or text on an image
- Decorate an image with a border or frame
- Describe the format and characteristics of an image
Aptitude is an Ncurses based FrontEnd to Apt, the debian package manager. Since it is text based, it is run from a terminal or a CLI (command line interface). Aptitude has a number of useful features,
$ sudo apt-get install aptitude
$ sudo aptitude install graphicsmagick-libmagick-dev-compat
or simply using `apt-get`
$ sudo apt-get install graphicsmagick-libmagick-dev-compat
$ sudo apt-get install imagemagick
$ sudo apt-get install libmagickcore-dev
$ sudo apt-get install libmagickwand-dev
$ gem install rmagick
Note: not done? —> Did you try restarting the terminal?
create a something.sh file and save the following code
sudo apt-get install aptitude sudo aptitude install graphicsmagick-libmagick-dev-compat sudo apt-get install imagemagick sudo apt-get install libmagickcore-dev sudo apt-get install libmagickwand-dev gem install rmagick
Then to execute, use `sh` is command that executes `shellcommand` files
$ sudo sh something.sh
This will install all the dependencies and the page at once. However, it may ask you to confirm some decisions frequently.
If any problem occur regarding installation of dependency packages then
$ apt-get update
and try again installing the packages